Sustainable nature activities
Taigavire arranges sustainable nature activities in wilderness. Our idea is to serve safe and adventurous biking, hiking, skiing, kayaking and nature photographing tours with principles of sustainability, responsibility and good service. Taigavire offers also rental equipment and café services at Syöte Nature Centre.
Taigavires' Cafe Korppi, which is located in Syöte National Park Nature Centre, has received the international environmental Green Key certification! The Green Key label is a recognition of long-term and versatile environmental and responsibility work. Taigavire is strongly committed to the principles of Green Key criteria about the sustainable tourism in our restaurant and in all of our activities.
Entrepreneurs of Taigavire are members of the Finnish Association for Nature Conservation. We work actively in various animal welfare organisations and support local sustainable development activities. As a contract partner of Finnish Government owned Metsähallitus Nature and Heritage, Taigavire is strongly committed to the principles of sustainable tourism.
- We value and respect nature.
- We participate in animal protection.
- We tell our customers about the values of the National Parks, their protection and encourage our guests to act responsibly.
- We enable and encourage our customers to act in an environmentally friendly ways.
- As a rule, we use ready-made routes and existing service equipment.
- We encourage our customers to travel to Syöte National Park using public transport for the lower emissions. Locally, we use a bio-ethanol powered car to transport groups of less than five people. Bio-ethanol is eco-friendly fuel made from local wood raw material or from a bio-waste. Use of bio-ethanol reduces car emissions about 80%.
- We work energy and material efficiently. We encourage our guests to buy souvenirs from our souvenir shop. We work with local and small producers rather than those who produce or bring goods from abroad.
- Whenever possible, we buy products and raw materials from local entrepreneurs. We want to support the local economy. Our partners also appreciate nature and sustainable values and act safely.
- On our tours we prefer to stay in small, environmentally friendly and local owned cabins or hotels and choose sustainable accommodation.
- On our tours we like to eat in local restaurants and cafes. We prefer wild food, vegetarian food, fish from the near lakes and ethically sustainable, locally sourced food.
- We sort and recycle our waste: Plastic, metal, paper, carton, glass and biological waste.
- We use water sparingly in accommodation and public buildings.
- We respect the local people, culture and nature. We accept all religions and beliefs. We remember to thank and follow other good practices in our communications.
- During our stay in nature, we leave nothing behind but take all the waste with us to our place of departure.
- We clean the huts and shelters in nature every time we leave in a slightly better condition than they were when we arrived. At the Syöte Visitor Centre we sort all waste.
- We maintain our equipment for maximum durability and long life.
- We avoid disposable tableware and prefer durable and appropriate cutlery.
- We collect feedback to improve customer satisfaction and operations.